gauperaa
an espresso lover's blog



Thursday, September 01, 2005

 
I finally got around to borrowing a digital thermometer with probe the other day. By drilling a small hole in a standard rancilio double filter, I am now able to do some measurements on my Euro2000 (E-61). The first realization was that I need to flush even longer than I believed. With a completely warmed up machine I need to flush 25-30 secs to get the temperature down to 90-91 celsius (boiler set to 0.95-1.15 bar). That's where I find the Ottolina Classica coffee to taste best. By increasing the temperature I get more contrasty flavor notes, but I don't think that improves it in the straight espresso - no sugar added - role. I am pretty happy to have found the correct flush amount, and to be enjoying classica espresso that is up to par with what I get when I visit the Temperato (norwegian rancilio distributor) shop here in Oslo. Alexander von der Lippe, one of the owners, is a really good barista. I've always loved the stuff he has served me.

Another realization has been that I have been a bit sloppy with the cleaning of machine and grinder lately. This was pointed out by Alexander when we drank a mediocre shot in his shop, and he told me that it was due to a pf that needed cleaning. The flavor was similar to what I had been getting at home, a sort of medicinal aftertaste that can be a result of specific beans, but in this case cleaning. After he cleaned the pf, the subsequent shots tasted great. A thorough cleaning of my own gear, and increased flushing, has made me a happy barista. Just got be careful not to drink too many doubles too fast !

It is also cool to see that the standard rancilio 14g double filter is capable of producing great shots.

9/01/2005 09:44:00 AM  


Comments: Post a Comment
/archives


My e-mail




Blog highlights

NM 2005 pics #1
NM 2005 pics #2
Oslo qual 2004 pics
NM 2004 pics #1
NM 2004 pics #2
WBC 2004 pictures
Mocca bar pictures
Stockfleths move video
Stockfleths cupping
E2K review (16.05.2003)
SH roastery visit
Scarecrow popper


Superb espresso in Oslo

Stockfleth's Lille Grensen
Stockfleth's Tinghuset
Java
Mocca
Kaffefuglen


Latte art links

Step by step rosetta
Milk texturing and pouring
Latte art 101
Milk texturing basics
Milk texturing and pre..
Luigi Lupi homepage
Luigi Lupi video, Trieste 2004
Temperato video
Artigiano video
Sammy video
My video
Steve Wong video
Benson Mirhan video
My E2K Jr microfoam video
Temperato article (norwegian)
CG Milk Frothing Guide
CG member examples
Dutch latte art championship



Please rate my blog

Excellent
Very good
Good
I guess it's ok
Completely boring
I hate it...and you too

Click a link to cast your vote



Various links

Tim Wendelboe
Coffeegeek
Temperato (dealer)
Kenneth Davids
Dutch Barista Guild
Vivace
SCAE norway
Barista G. Board
Latest alt.coffee posts
WBC homepage
Nordic Barista Cup
Too Much Coffee
Stavanger Kaffebrenneri
Kaffebønna
Stockfleths
portafilter.net


Blogs

Jimmy's blog
Malachi's blog
Fortune's blog
Alistair's blog
Bloggle: the coffee odyssey
The Blue Bottle Clown College
Tonx's blog
Audun's blog
Jeroen's blog



My latest photo
at Flickr







Powered by Blogger